Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Anchor a variety of newscasts. Acts as a field reporter as assigned.
- Produce original, engaging content for all on-air and digital platforms that evoke engagement through creative storytelling
- Write, shoot, edit and post daily digital focused stories and videos
- Post daily content and engage with fans on your station branded social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Utilize Facebook Live and other instant social media platforms to showcase your stories and promote local newscasts and community initiatives
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories. Conducts interviews with news personnel and others.
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed style and formatting guidelines.
- Edits video clips as assigned.
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects in order to isolate pertinent facts and details.
- Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
- Responds to breaking news and other urgent newsrooms situations as required
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information. Ensures that all news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas.
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
- Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts.
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements.
- Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Understand importance of social media.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
- Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.+
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree required (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education); plus (3) years television anchoring or reporting experience preferred.
- Operate newsroom computer systems.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Some travel will be required. Position requires work on weekends and holidays.