Digital Content Manager
KGET is in Bakersfield, Calif., 100 miles north of Los Angeles.
We are Market 122, but think bigger than that.
That`s why our standards are high.
The standards for this digital content producer job:
Journalism: This expert in new media first must be expert in the fundamentals of traditional media:
- Honesty and accuracy. This means the digital content producer has an intrinsic distain for any conflict of interest, no matter how slight, or even the appearance of conflict. He or she must be devoted to fairness. Accuracy must be gospel.
- Authority: The digital content producer must be able to enforce digital and social media minimum posting requirements on the whole staff. Must be able to supervise digital and social media standards in colleagues who are otherwise his/her senior.
- Writer: The digital content producer is a highly competent newspaper-style writer. The digital content producer can dash out a newspaper story in a few minutes and write an appropriate headline. Accuracy and spelling are essential. News judgment and the ability to work under pressure and on deadline is a must.
- Computer knowledgeable: Basic familiarity with newsroom computer systems and HTML web skills knowledge of web content managers, photoshop and other web production software is required.
- Newsy: The digital content producer is completely versed in current events and follows national, state and, especially, local news. It is a job requirement that the web editor read local and regional newspapers and watch our news broadcasts.
- Versatile: This journalist must be able to handle all aspects of television newsroom duties. He/She should know basic assignment desk duties, fundamental reporting and introductory producing.
On-air reporting is a bonus.
- Story strategies: The digital content producer is a key player in planning stores. He/She attends the morning meeting and helps develop a web and social media strategy for each daily story. He/She is involved in planning sweeps stories, and works with on-air reporters to enrich broadcast stories.
- Special pages: The digital content producer maintains website special pages, such as Homicide Tracker and Pedestrian Safety.
- SEO: The digital content producer understands and utilizes search engine optimization. He or she is knowledgeable in filing stories on a timed release basis.
- Broadcast complementary: The digital content producer works closely with the assignment editors and the newscast producers. The digital content producer must be aware of everything that goes on the various broadcasts and know how to link the newscast to all digital and social media. For example, if the digital content producer knows the broadcast has a story about a toy recall, he or she will suggest the newscast producer include a line that says, “for more information, go to our website …”
- Eye to the future: First it was Facebook, then Twitter, then Instagram, then SnapChat. What’s next? This digital producer must know, and know it before anyone else.
At least one year of experience as a digital media producer/reporter at a commercial television station, or a college degree in digital media preferred.
Email resume and letter to Michael Trihey, news director firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer. Background screen required.