Lifestyle Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) - Full Time
WTNH/News 8 is looking for a self-starting MMJ to work on our lifestyle show.
The successful candidate must have MMJ skills including shooting, writing and editing both long and short form client videos, including packages, vignettes, social videos, and other on air or digital assignments as needed. Additionally, this position will also be responsible for assisting the producer with booking guests, going out on sales calls, writing segments for the show and all other duties as assigned related to the daily production of “Connecticut Style,” a daily marketer-friendly show that focuses on health, fitness, fashion, cooking and a variety of family friendly topics.
The position requires a proven track record as a successful MMJ with a minimum of three years’ experience, preferably with direct on-camera experience plus solid remote shooting, lighting and editing skills. You must be able to work independently and work on multiple projects on a deadline. The ability to work as part of a unique production team with a host and other on-camera talent is essential. Must be able to assist the show producer with writing solid copy on a deadline basis, as required. Knowledge of local and national trends is important, as is an ability to communicate extemporaneously with CT Style team, news, production and clients.
May be assigned as general assignment news reporter as needed.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Journalism or related field preferred, with minimum of (3) three years’ experience as a lifestyle or news feature reporter. Training/Equipment: Operate newsroom computer systems; Software skills required include Word Press, Adobe CC Suite production package including; Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop.
Additional Information: Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Local travel will be required on a regular basis. Position requires the transport of equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. Position often requires work in extreme outdoor temperatures. Must be willing and able to work all shifts, including nights, overnights, early mornings, mornings, weekends, and holidays.
The Lifestyle MMJ must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions and the demands of breaking news, which can happen at any time.
A valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record are required. Background and DMV check are required.
This position falls under the umbrella of the AFTRA Collective Bargaining Agreement with WTNH.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********
WTNH is an equal opportunity employer that seeks diversity in our workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
News 8 WTNH/WCTX values the contribution of all of its employees. We recognize their efforts by offering a competitive compensation plan and an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(K), and more. We are committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background and DMV check
To be considered for this position you must apply online via the Nexstar Media Group Career Portal: Please remember to attach your cover letter, resume and a link to your demo reel (if applicable).
Nexstar Careers - First Time users must create an Account
www.wtnh.com ABOUT US > JOBS > Search New Haven, CT
Why work for us?
News 8 Behind the Scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cD297vbpf0&t=25s
Corporate Job Description
- Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
- Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
- Shoots and edits news events and news reports
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad libwhen required
- Minimum three years’ experience in news reporting (Depending on market size)
- Software skills required include Word Press, Adobe CC Suite production package including; Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop.
- Must have MMJ skills including shooting, writing, editing
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.