Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works with teams and independently to gather the nuance of complex stories, collecting meaningful data on those stories, then writing and communicating clearly, to internal team members and audiences at large, the compelling nature of those stories.
- Before, during and after Newscasts, Breaking News and public events, the News Anchor must have awareness of all resources and people in his/her immediate, peripheral and complete sphere of responsibility, and have the ability to react to and employ those people and resources in an extemporaneous way, creating memorable moments for audiences that furthers understanding and builds connection to brand.
- Presents news stories and other content for all platforms.
- Ensures that all news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers news stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Produces newscasts and communicates clear direction with team members.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content.
- Acts as a field reporter as assigned.
- Conducts interviews with news personnel and others.
- Responds to breaking news and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Edits video clips as assigned.
- Writes content for the website and other eMedia platforms.
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
- Excellent communication skills often under timeline pressures; smooth enunciation orally and clear, concise writing style with the ability to ad lib when required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Minimum five years’ experience in news reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
- Superior on-air presence.
- Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers and issues.
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Anchor must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the News Anchor must be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.