Knoxville ABC Affiliate WATE is seeking a News Director. Station produces 7 hours of local news and programming daily M-F and 10.5 hours on the weekends in addition to a multitude of special events and remote broadcasts annually in addition to continuous local news and weather through an extensive digital presence. Knoxville is home to the University of Tennessee, which provides tremendous opportunities fo recruiting, partnerships and issue-oriented news content. Our robust community proximity to Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains provide excellent quality of life. Successful candidate will be an experienced journalist, possess excellent leadership skills, have a demonstrated ability to hire well and train, motivate and inspire news staff. Must have 3 years experience as a News Director or Assistant News Director, experience overseeing successful remote productions, excellent writing skills and the ability to work cohesively with other departments throughout the station. A comprehensive understanding of traditional and digital platforms is a must.
WATE 6 On Your Side, the ABC affiliate in Knoxville, Tennessee, is looking for a morning executive producer with the skills, instinct and talent to lead the market’s fastest-growing morning team using our “On Your Side” brand. The perfect candidate must be innovative, a motivator and a multi-platform thinker (television and digital). They must also be passionate about winning breaking news and weather every day of the week. Oversee daily story selection and be a strong conversational writer and copy editor. The ideal candidate must also be able to think outside the box, plan and build big story coverage. Excellent people and organizational skills are also a must. Most of all, the successful candidate must have the instincts and drive to win.
Located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Knoxville is home to the University of Tennessee and Vol Nation. But there’s more to this "Scruffy City” than Saturdays in the fall. Knoxville offers great food, a bustling arts and music scene and a wide variety of outdoor activities. The city is also on Forbes’ list of Most Affordable Cities and U.S. News list of the Top 100 Places to Live.
- Manage newsroom and field crews
- Own breaking news and weather coverage
- Understand and execute our “On Your Side” brand
- Copy edit newscasts. Make them conversational
- Develop and build strong producers
- Set coverage expectations for the team
- Build a multi-platform strategy for the team. Television and digital
- Work well with internal and external partners to build content sharing opportunities
- Build planning calendar for big story and promotable coverage
- Schedule producers
- Be a newsroom leader
- Critique and review producers
- Fill-in produce when needed
What You Need to Have
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluent in English. Knowledgeable of proper grammar and spelling
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proficient with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners and other office equipment.
- Able to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Flexible to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The Executive Producer must be able to sit, use newsroom software on a computer, conduct telephone conversations, use e-mail & social media for communication, write and copy edit scripts, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
Qualified applicants may apply online at www.nexstar.tv/careers
WATE 6 On Your Side - The TV and digital platform operated by Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. in Knoxville, TN is searching for a dynamic, aggressive, and sales SUPERSTAR! In this position, you will work within the established Sales Department guidelines to develop new business and increase sales volume for both TV and digital revenue by executing plans and strategies set forth by Sales Management. Applicants must be driven, self-motivated, creative professionals looking to take the next step in their career. Team player individuals with a passion for winning, a great attitude and a competitive spirit are the ideal candidates for this position. Experience preferred but not required.
Email Alert Options
You can save these search settings as an email alert, meaning an email will be sent to you every time a new opening matches your criteria. If you would like to create an email alert, please fill out the form below and click the save button.